Bilingual Blog for English Learners

Blog jest prowadzony w języku angielskim i polskim. Polski tekst jest w postach pod tekstem angielskim.

23 May 2015

Making a Doctor's Appointment



You've caught a cold and instead of going to work, you're making your way to the doctor's hoping that he could see you right away and relieve soreness in your throat. Unfortunately, before the visit you have to go through the reception and make an appointment. There are some expressions that you may find helpful in this task.

Below you can find an example of a dialogue and a list of useful expressions.

Patient: I'd like to see a doctor.
Receptionist: Do you have an appointment?
Patient: No, I don't.
Receptionist: When would you like to have the appointment?
Patient: Today, if it's possible. I'm not feeling well. I think I'm going down with a cold.
Receptionist: Yes, today's possible. Have you been here before?
Patient: No, it's my first time at Art Medical Centre.
Receptionist: Let me see... Dr Thompson can see you today.
Patient: Do you have any doctors who can speak Polish?
Receptionist: Yes, but Dr Kowalski is not taking any new patients.
Patient: I see. In this case, I'd like to see Dr Thompson.
Receptionist: Have you got a medical insurance?
Patient: Yes, I have a European Health Insurance Card.
Receptionist: That's fine. May I see it?
Patient: Here you are.
Receptionist: Please take a seat. The doctor will see you in about 50 minutes.
Patient: Thank you.

Useful expressions:
Do you have an appointment?
I'm going down with a cold.
Let me see…
to take new patients
I see.
Have you got a medical insurance?
a European Health Insurance Card
Please take a seat.

You may have noticed that I have used “a” before the word “European”, what is not an error (as a rule, we use “a” before consonants and “an” before vowels). Although, the first letter in this word is a vowel, we use “a”, because the first sound in the pronunciation of “European” is a consonant. Another example is “an hour”, where the first letter is a consonant, but the first sound is a vowel.

Making an appointment when you're already at the doctor's practice is way easier than doing it over the phone. Talking to somebody face to face, when you can see his or her facial expressions, gestures and the way the person speaks, makes everything clearer. If you feel anxious when you need to make a call in English, just go to the doctor's practice.

And what's your favourite way of handling such things?

...

Jesteście podziębieni i zamiast do pracy, swoje kroki kierujecie do przychodni z nadzieją, że lekarz będzie mógł od razu Was przyjąć i coś poradzić na Wasze bolące gardło. Tylko że przed wizytą trzeba jeszcze przejść przez rejestrację i umówić się do lekarza. Warto poznać kilka zwrotów, które ułatwią sprawne przejście przez tę procedurę.

Poniżej znajdziesz przykładowy dialog i listę przydatnych zwrotów.

Pacjent: I'd like to see a doctor.
Recepcjonistka: Do you have an appointment?
Pacjent: No, I don't.
Recepcjonistka: When would you like to have the appointment?
Pacjent: Today, if it's possible. I'm not feeling well. I think I'm going down with a cold.
Recepcjonistka: Yes, today's possible. Have you been here before?
Pacjent: No, it's my first time at Art Medical Centre.
Recepcjonistka: Let me see... Dr Thompson can see you today.
Pacjent: Do you have any doctors who can speak Polish?
Recepcjonistka: Yes, but Dr Kowalski is not taking any new patients.
Pacjent: I see. In this case, I'd like to see Dr Thompson.
Recepcjonistka: Have you got a medical insurance?
Pacjent: Yes, I have a European Health Insurance Card.
Recepcjonistka: That's fine. May I see it?
Pacjent: Here you are.
Recepcjonistka: Please take a seat. The doctor will see you in about 50 minutes.
Pacjent: Thank you.

Przydatne zwroty:
Do you have an appointment? - Czy jest pan/pani umówiony/a?
I'm going down with a cold. - Bierze mnie przeziębienie.
Let me see… - Niech zobaczę…
to take new patients – przyjmować nowych pacjentów
I see. - Rozumiem.
Have you got a medical insurance? - Czy ma pan/pani ubezpieczenie medyczne?
a European Health Insurance Card – Europejska Karta Ubezpieczenia Zdrowotnego
Please take a seat. - Proszę usiąść.

Łatwo zauważyć, że przed słowem „European” wstawiłam „a”, co nie jest błędem (zgodnie z regułą „a” używa się przed spółgłoskami a „an” przed samogłoskami). Pomimo tego, że pierwszą literą jest samogłoską, w takim przypadku używa się „a”, ponieważ w wymowie słowa „European” pierwszy dźwięk jest spółgłoską. Innym przykładem może być „an hour”, gdzie pierwszą literą jest spółgłoska, ale w wymowie pierwszy dźwięk jest samogłoską.

Rejestracja na miejscu w przychodni jest bez porównania łatwiejsza niż telefoniczna. Rozmowa z kimś na żywo, kiedy można obserwować jego mimikę, gesty i to, jak mówi, bardzo ułatwia sprawę. Jeśli czujecie duży stres przed rozmową przez telefon w obcym języku, po prostu przejdźcie się do przychodni.

A Wy jak wolicie się rejestrować do lekarza?

1 comment:

  1. Od niedawna mieszkam w UK. Wolę podejść do przychodni i ustalić termin osobiście, bo rozmowa przez tel jest dla mnie jeszcze zbyt stresująca.

    ReplyDelete